Selected sounds of the holiday season

'Tis the season. Preparations are underway for the holiday party for law firm where my partner, Ed, is employed. The event is going to be held at the beautiful Terwilliger Vista Bed & Breakfast. Live music will be provided by the local group The Rhythm Dogs. I'll be playing "corporate wife" at the event - and trying to be on my best behavior.

One of my assigned spousal duties was to select Christmas music to be played when the band is not performing. I was asked to select five to six CDs from our personal collection of over 50 holiday options.

There was no doubt of my first pick. Etta James' 12 Songs of Christmas (1996) is a must - especially for a party. That incredible voice, taking on traditional songs, is sure to be a hit.

The Sinatra Christmas Album, a compilation originally released in 1987, is a great musical gift package from "Old Blue Eyes." White Christmas (1996), from the late Rosemary Clooney, was another immediate selection. For me personally, it just wouldn't be the holidays without A Charlie Brown Christmas from the Vince Guaraldi Trio. I've been a longtime fan of The Manhattan Transfer and their release The Christmas Album (1992) has become a season classic in my home.

My final selection is also the most personal. In 1989 my friend Leslie McMichael released her CD Snowfall: Harp Solos for Christmas. Listening to it always brings back great holiday memories - especially of being in Seattle years ago and going to the Space Needle to hear Leslie perform live. In addition, Leslie (who co-founded the Vashon Island Harp School), and her significant other Marty Schafer, always celebrate the season by sending out an eagerly anticipated musical holiday card.

© 2006 Jeff Fisher Logomotives

1 comment:

Dani Nordin said...

I completely concur with the Charlie Brown Christmas album - it goes on heavy rotation as soon as Thanksgiving's done over here. I also have a few specific songs I love for the holidays - Sarah McLachlan and Barenaked Ladies singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and Dido's "Christmas Day" are favorites, and every once in a while I sneak in Cartman singing "O Holy Night." Kinda thinking that's not going to go over well with the lawyers, though.